Education Scotland has developed a glossary for parents and carers of children and young people in the Broad General Education phase in Scottish schools (Nursery to Secondary 3).
Below are some documents with key vocabulary and solutions to help you and your child(ren) to feel more confident when talking about and supporting them in their learning of numeracy and mathematics.
It provides clear definitions of some of the commonly used terms in numeracy and mathematics which are organised into 15 organisers (click on the relevant areas of Numeracy and Mathematics that is relevant):
- Angle, Symmetry and Transformation
- Data and Analysis
- Estimation and Rounding
- Expressions and Equations
- Fractions, Decimal Fractions and Percentages
- Ideas of Chance and Uncertainty
- Mathematics: Its Impact on the Past, Present and Future
- Multiples, Factors and Primes
- Number and Number Processes
- Patterns and Relationships
- Powers and Roots
- Properties of 2D Shapes and 3D Objects